4. The library board approves and implements a written personnel policy. Hiring rates or ranges and job descriptions are determined for all library staff. The library director implements and manages personnel policies and procedures.
17. The library director develops and presents a budget to the library board for discussion and approval. An adequately funded public library meets the following funding levels:
- Salaries and Benefits target — 65% of total operating expenditures from all income sources (excluding capital fund expenditures)
- Materials and Resources target — 12% of total operating expenditures from all income sources (excluding capital fund expenditures)
- Technology — Variable
- Library Operations — Variable
37. The library employs sufficient staff to meet service needs. That staff includes a paid library director. Appendix C provided the minimum hours of paid staffing by library service level. At least 2 hours per week is paid time for the library director for administrative duties.
40. The library director has completed a state and/or system approved program of library training after appointment.
46. The library director or appropriate administrative staff annually conducts a written evaluation of the performance of all other library employees. The library director annually recommends to the library board salary increases for other library employees.