- Reading the Complete Bylaws for Public libraries teaches new trustees how library boards should work. Web links in the document lead to additional information on specific topic on this Web site.
- Does the library seem clean and inviting?
- Does the library seem well organized? Can you and patrons find stuff without a tour?
- Do the programs and services described in the policies match the programs and services described on the tour? They should.
- What is/are the stated mission/vision/goals of the library?
- Do the library's services and programs reflect the stated mission/vision/goals of the library? They should.
- Libraries are for use.
Do the policies about circulation, computer use, etc., promote/support use of these services and programs? Or
do the policies limit/restrict use of services and programs?
Do restrictions merely protect library stuff? Or
do these restrictions protect patrons' future use of library services and programs?
- Last 6 to 12 months of the board minutes
- What issues arose during the year?
Were they resolved?
- What were the major accomplishments of the library board?
- What improvement(s) is the board working on now?
- Latest library budget
- What are the sources of the library's income?
What percentage of the library's income comes from each source?
- From looking at the policy and the library tour, you know the library's purpose and services and programs, do library expenditures adequately support the services and programs and the staff providing these services and programs?
- Any short or long range plans. Technology plans. Disaster/emergency plans.
- List of other board members with contact information.
- Library's organizational chart, if necessary
- Information about library Friends Groups, foundations, etc.
- Most current Central Kansas Library System plan: Read the sections on system services and grants to member libraries.
- Librarian-created documents for orienting trustees
- "Ten Stupid Things Board Members Sometimes Do" (1-page Word Document) <http://tinyurl.com/oqkygm3>
- "Top Dozen Things Every Library Should Do" (1-page Word Document) <http://tinyurl.com/ochkm3e>
- "Effective Board Meetings" by the Kansas State Library and Kansas Library Trustee Association. (4-pages) <http://tinyurl.com/nlr3wzk>
- What is a library?