- Central Kansas Library System (CKLS), Great Bend, Kansas at http://www.ckls.org/
- Regional library system covers 17 counties in north central Kansas. Provides direct services to people living outside areas already covered by library and helps libraries in our area.
System services are described in the annual System Plan. We also recommend getting the bimonthly newsletter, The POST.
- State Library of Kansas (SLK), Topeka, Kansas at http://www.kslib.info/
- "Mission: The State Library of Kansas seeks to improve the lives of Kansas residents by providing resources that: increase reading readiness and on-grade reading acuity; improve chances for academic success; help start and grow businesses; assist individuals with employment opportunities; and provide lifelong educational opportunities."
The State Library supports a number of statewide services.
- Kansas Library Association (KLA) at http://kslibassoc.org/
- The Kansas Library Association will facilitate the acquisition of needed skills and expand opportunities for professional development within the library community.
- Identify and prioritize statewide continuing education programs for KLA involvement.
- Promote KLA student membership at three regional library schools.
- Develop materials for use in educating the public regarding library issues.
- Plan and implement a high quality annual conference consistent with KLA educational interests.
KLA organizes an annual Fall statewide library conference. The Central Kansas Library System recommends librarians attend this conference and trustees attend Trustee Day sponsored by the Kansas Library Trustees Association (KLTA).
Another section of KLA is the Public Library Section (PLS). They sponsor a biennial retreat.
- Association for Rural & Small Libraries (ARSL) at http://arsl.info/
- Vision: "As the premier organization representing rural and small libraries, ARSL
recognizes the uniqueness of small and rural libraries and is committed
to providing an environment that encourages excellence within this
community of practice, supporting their goals of service and speaking on
behalf of this important constituency."
Mission: "The Association for Rural & Small Libraries provides resources and support that empower those in small and rural libraries to deliver excellent service for their communities."
ARSL runs one of the best conferences for small and rural librarians. CKLS highly recommends attending this conference. Kansas is known for running a bus full of Kansas librarians to this conference. Trustees should encourage their librarians to attend.
- Mountain Plains Library Association (MPLA)at http://www.mpla.us/
- "The Mountain Plains Library Association (MPLA) is a twelve state association of librarians, library paraprofessionals and friends of libraries in Arizona, Colorado, Kansas, Montana, Nebraska, Nevada, New Mexico, North Dakota, Oklahoma, South Dakota, Utah and Wyoming. Its purpose is to promote the development of librarians and libraries by providing significant educational and networking opportunities. The Association meets annually in joint conferences with member states on a rotational basis, and is governed by an elected board of representatives from each member state and a number of sections and roundtables representing interests and types of libraries. In addition to its board and its officers, MPLA activities are carried out by a number of committees and an executive secretary." - from their Website
MPLA's conference is also good.