- The board must create a paper trail of the warnings and missives of the board that are being ignored; dates, actions etc.
- A minimum of 2 written warnings must be given with performance improvement plans that require specific changes.
- These plans should offer specific deadlines (4-6 Weeks) for change evaluations.
- The second improvement plan stipulates the consequences if the plan is not completed to the satisfaction of the board; including dismissal
- These should be signed by the librarian and the board president
- Be prepared to support the efforts of the librarian to improve
- If the librarian threatens to resign instead of signing an improvement plan, or does not complete the plan, say “will you give us two weeks to find a replacement” then accept her resignation for immediate or two weeks notice.
- Do not give in, or accept a deal other than you are offering in the improvement plan.
- Be prepared to step in to volunteer in the library while the assistant is trained and allow her to attend all CKLS training events.
- Write a letter of dismissal or resignation to the librarian citing your reasons; failure to complete the improvement plans, or self resignation.
- Be prepared to express your feelings to interested patrons and city officials, citing the regret but necessity of your actions
- The above actions should be implemented if this is the best for the patrons of the library.
Guidelines for Hiring and Firing an Employee by General Council Law Firm
Guidelines for termination by Entrepreneurship Research Center gives overview of four steps.