K.S.A. 12-1224 Meetings
- When new members are appointed [in May],
- the board should elect officers, and
- establish the place and time for future meetings.
- Special meetings can be called by the chairman or upon written requests by the majority of members.
- Unless waived, each member of the board is given two days before the meeting, written notice of special meeting stating the time and place and purpose of the meeting.
- Only business given as the reason for the special meeting can be conducted during the special meeting.
K.S.A. 75-4317 through 75-4320 Open Meetings Act
- 75-4317: declares representative government is dependent on an informed electorate
- 75-4317a defines a meeting as any gathering of the majority of the board, in person or on the telephone, for interactive discussion of library business. “On the telephone” means conference calls involving a majority of the board or a series to calls, one at a time, to a majority of the board.
- 75-4318 requires public notices and giving agendas, if produced for the meeting, to anyone asking for an agenda.
- 75-4319 describes the circumstances and procedures for closed executive sessions
- 75-4320 describes penalties for violating this act.